Shemar Moore

News

Shemar’s Early Poems: “Our home”

Posted on
facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinteresttumblrmail

OUR HOME

A picture unknown

but a common reality. It’s a colored town. It’s people

are weakened while their cry

is loud only silenced by the white frame which encases

their lives.

There is no white in this

town except for the lone stranger

looking for a shoe shine and the

chalk a child uses to paint

the sidewalk.

In the foreground stands a

black boy with his sandbox knees

comforting his broom beaten brother.

His eyes, lacking sympathy but hardened

with pride, stare into the barrel of

the camera held by the outsider

who does not belong.

The background is a display

of generations. Mamma tends to her children as they play, some

stand for rest from the angry sun,

while tomorrow’s people sleep in

their carriages.

Men sing and dance to stay alive and

papa preaches to his whiskey listeners

about the promised land while a man

runs freely down the street of a

white man’s ghetto and a black man’s home.

A poem created by Shemar when he was in middle-school.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinteresttumblrmail
59 comments on “Shemar’s Early Poems: “Our home”
  1. Really impressive, touching and thoughtful, . It says a lot about you. I love poems, they are usually written from the heart, deep inside it. It says a lot about who people really are. Well done. Thanks for sharing this piece of you with us. ;) xx

2. Wonderful absolutely inspiring. At such a young age you seemed to have an insight and some understanding(not really sure how to word it) into a world that no child should ever have to live/ see. This really doesn’t describe what I’m trying to say/ how I feel sorry.

3. The reality of the world divided by man made roads through a childs eyes. Wow its a truth many don’t want to see but hits home when a child states the obvious. Very insightful and deep.

4. OMG! Shemar … you need to publish your poems. what a moving poem this is, so descriptively matching the picture. one does not need to even see the picture to feel the raw emotion in it. Bravo! thank you for sharing it with us. xoxo

5. Renaat RDawg82 on said:

Gorgeous! Love it. As a fellow writer I admire the deep spirit and soul you portrait here. Little boy with an old soul. Courageous man! <3

6. Rainey on said:

How do you wrap this much talent, intelligence, charity, kindness and truthfulness into one person…almost hard to believe he really exists.. oh did I mention his unbelievably good looks. Why cant more men be like him?

7. How prophetic, at such a young age you were revealing yourself as who you would become as a man. Through the eyes of a child the world is black and white (simple not complex; it is or it isn’t). It feels like that’s what we lose as we grow older; that simple vision/reality of fairness and equality.

8. The poem is beautiful and insightful. I have 2 middle schoolers and I’m not sure either one of them, certainly not my son, would have the insight into this photo that you did. I have never understood the issues white people of the day (and those who choose to remain ignorant today) were thinking that someone who looks like me but darker has to be inferior. My oldest daughter is bi-racial. I have lost family members because they refuse to acknowledge that she exists because she is half black. I can’t wrap my mind around it. Every individual deserves respect until they have proven otherwise.

9. This poem shows your insight of a world through a youngsters eyes. Capturing the inner soul of children and the characteristics of the people around you. You were and are a very insightful person. You showed a very mature depth at such a young age. I enjoyed reading your poem. Thank you for sharing :)

10. That poem speaks volumes! Who is the real Shemar Franklin Moore? What does he (you) stand for? Based on that poem you are a deep thinking man. If you weren’t an actor, you still would have been in the creative business. Stay blessed!!!

11. Teresa L on said:

Such a deep and observant poem for boy in middle school! Thank you for sharing such an intimate work. Proverbs 27:19
    As in water face reflects face, So a man’s heart reveals the man.

12. It all started so many years ago, when one perfect couple made one huge mistake. With that one mistake, imperfection was passed to us all. But, Jehovah God, will one day bring perfection back to earth. There will no longer be black or white, no rich or poor, no more violence or pain. All I can say is that looking forward to that one day, is sometimes the only that that gets me through to the next imperfect day in this very very imperfect world. Jehovah God will bring about a perfect world through Jesus Christ his son.

13. wow-so many word pictures. very deep for middle school. I like especially like the line “while tomorrow’s people sleep in their carriages” even in the solemn outlook you give here, it still gives the reader a glimmer of hope for the future.

14. The analogies are striking for one so young; beautiful depth and emotion. I read this many times over, and it left me weepy. Writing is a special gift, which you have been blessed with darlin’. Thank you for sharing it.

15. christine on said:

“Men sing and dance to stay alive” where the songs and dances are what seem to be the perfect language shared that binds them as one. Papa preaches to his whiskey listeners about a promised land that can only be envisioned and seem close by to reach after a hot or two of his favorite whiskey.

Thanks Shemar

16. It never ceases to amaze me how insightful young people can be if you just take the time to listen. This proves that young people see and understand more than some adults because they aren’t restricted by what people expect them to feel or think. Very moving peom that unfortunately still speaks of our world.

17. My favorite line…”His eyes, lacking sympathy but hardened

with pride, stare into the barrel of

the camera held by the outsider

who does not belong”…

I am a photographer and often wonder if people really feel this way. Amazing! Thanks for the post Baby Boy! PEACE!

18. I just want to share with you that I really, really dig that photo. I still have a 35mm B&W camera (not digital) that I use when I get the black and white urge which is often. I feel like it is the true, genuine ‘color’ before all the colors and I just wanted to say thanks. PEACE!

19. “Ain’t GOD good!?” Now who would ever think that YOU, of all people, would have experienced something like this?? Certainly not me! This sounds like my life when I was growing up in the day of the dinosaur. But, just look at us now!! GOD is good!! By the way, ‘old people’ love you, too. Keep being an inspiration to young, black America.

20. MaryEtta Schwartz on said:

Moving and sad….you had, at such a young age, (and I’m sure, still have) a gift for expressing your thoughts on paper. Thanks for sharing this poem!

21. Your poem brought tears to my eyes…no child should have to feel that way…You are a very amazing person. I love you in anything you star in…You are great in Criminal Minds…please don’t ever leave the show! God Bless You and Your Family!

22. angbrenson@gmail.com on said:

I feel the pain u must have felt growing up my kids wrote many of their feelings in poems growing up mixed race in the south

23. Victory LeRoi Smith on said:

Shemar that is powerful for a middle schooler. Sage and an old Soul just
    hitting his teens. I know the feeling to be an anomaly. Hopefully, I’m,
    Saunni Sunnai Dais, close to going viral. I think that our common 1st
    cousin needs to rejuvenate his art as well. Right? Thanks for Your
    Passion for MS support. Peace Bro

24. This shows incredible talent and insight for a young man so obviously wise and sensitive beyond his years at the time. Not sure if you did, but I truly hope you continued to write after middle school. You have a God given gift you could share with others. Be blessed dear, and by the way…..I never miss C. Minds. Also….thanks so much for all your love and support in fighting MS. We need you! :-D

25. Mary wilson on said:

Wow love your pomes that was beautiful and at that age ,the level..yourpome can’t put into words but I love it you brought me in to the story like I could see and fill the whole experience ,really i thank you I was touch by it I love poetry remember that when we meet ok lol.

26. Kim Smith on said:

To look at something or someone through the lens of a camera is one thing. To really see the reality and feel the truth of what is in front of you… yes. This sight is clearly whispered from the heart. It comes beating to you like the heavy waves of rushing blood infusing into your blood stream that, YES, all of this shotgun wind chime dizziness belongs to all of us. For where one must bare the burdens of unconfessed vindication, the other must bury their shames deep deep down in their bellies passed their cold dead hearts. For what man is it that has been revealed truth yet turns away over and over again? Yes, it is a reality but to who? The agony of a child stuffed down into a place that refuses to give him his dreams and yet he pushes onward for what else must he do? The reality belongs to that child suffering in the night wrestling with his chains of poverty just to believe he can win and rise up. And what of that man with the white chalk and the camera? If he sees and is not overcome by humanity to rouse his silent crimes against himself more so than that child, he is dead while he lives. If there is no love for your fellow man, your reality is your own… and oh, the death that has warped it. They will both die one day, the child and the frame man. People will mourn for them as they go to rest in the grave… but only God has the last answer. by Kim Smith 6/12/14 1:11am.