Shemar Moore

News

The Top 5 TV Cop Shows Of All Time

Posted on
facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinteresttumblrmail

The Top 5 TV Cop Shows Of All TimeThe TV cop show is one genre that has been keeping viewers on the edges of their seats for decades, and this is due to the real-life and exciting formula used to captivate those tuning in.

While the years have come with some excellent TV cop shows, some really do stand out amongst all the rest, and here are Shemar’s pick for the top 5 TV cop shows of all time are:

5. Miami Vice – From 1984 to 1990, Miami Vice was one of the most popular cop shows ever to hit Television. The show followed a squad of vice detectives as they cracked cases and served justice within the Miami area. Running for a total of 5 seasons, Miami Vice was a top favorite for audiences and critics alike!

4. Starsky & Hutch – Starsky & Hutch was an award winning and Golden Globe nominated TV cop drama that ran from 1975 to 1979 for a total of 4 seasons. The show followed two street smart detectives named Ken “Hutch” Hutchinson and Dave Starsky as they served justice to criminals in their Ford Torino! The show was so popular that it was made into a 2004 film starring Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson.

3. Chips – Chips, starring Erik Estrada and Robert Pine as Officer Frank Poncherello and Sgt. Joseph Getraer, followed the day to day lives of two motorcycle officers working on the California Highway Patrol. The show began in 1977 and ran until 1983, with its 6 seasons winning approval from audiences and earning award nominations. Erik Estrada was even once nominated for Best TV Actor at the 1980 Golden Globes.

2. Hill Street Blues – Another 1980’s classic TV cop drama was Hill Street Blues, which featured a more realistic and gritty appeal compared to other similar shows of the time. Running between 1981 and 1987, Hill Street Blues set a new style that was often replicated thereafter in this genre of television.

1. Magnum PI – Magnum PI is one of the most popular cop TV shows to ever exist, and the show starred the one and only Tom Selleck as Magnum. From 1980 to 1988, over the course of 8 seasons, Magnum PI became one of the classic cop shows to help to shape the genre for many years to come!

While Criminal Minds is one TV cop show on television today, these favorites of the past have helped to shape today’s cop drama into what we have come to know and love.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinteresttumblrmail
15 comments on “The Top 5 TV Cop Shows Of All Time
  1. Morgan/Garcia Girls on said:

I loved Miami Vice and Magnum PI! I don’t remember S & H or Chips for I was too little at the time but I trust your guts. Great list overall.

2. BamBamVaxxine on said:

NYPD Blue would have been my #1 & the Law & Order franchise at #2 for ‘past’ shows…Criminal Minds gets my #1 of all time.

3. Missy Rafidi on said:

Starsky and Hutch and CHiPs were my all time favorite and they still are when I can find a company that has the Antenna TV, Me TV, and This channels…those are the channels that play all of the old shows.

4. Doris Alfano on said:

Hill street blues was the only show I didn’t watch on the top 5. Now I make sure I’m home for the only show that I love, Criminal Minds. Can’t wait for season 10 to start.

5. Adam Whitbrook on said:

Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, Criminal Minds, and Luther are on the top of my list. The original CSI (before William Petersen left) would probably be there as well.

6. Isabella Stone on said:

I totally agree, Starsky & Hutch, Miami Vice, Chips, In the Heat of the Night, & NYPD Blues, were all my favorite. Now my favorite show is Criminal Minds, best cop show ever in my 49yrs of living. Shemar honey, we have a lot in common

7. Penny Dreadful on said:

I agree with Hill Street Blues and Starsky and Hutch! But would add Barney Miller for Fun factor. Criminal Minds and NCIS are also in my top 5.

8. Trevor M. Hunter on said:

I agree with both Kerry and BamBam that Homicide Life on the Streets and especially NYPD Blue would be in my top 5 given their realism and hard hitting storylines on often taboo subjects.

Unfortunately I find that some of the 80’s shows above often suffer from the’A-Team’ syndrome I.e. formulaic scripts, huge numbers of chase, and gun-battles, where no one is hurt or killed and all cops look like they moonlight as models after their’tour’ ends.